Weinstein & Randisi
Toll free:800-768-1780

Resize the Content Text

Understanding guardianships, its powers and how to challenge them

In New York, guardianships can be critical to ensure that an elderly or incapacitated person is cared for. Some people have a durable power of attorney drafted so another person will be named as a guardian if the person is unable to care for themselves. Without a durable power of attorney, the court will appoint a guardian to represent that person. A disagreement sometimes arises as to whom the guardian should be and what can be done to change it. Understanding the powers a guardian has and how the guardian is chosen is a foundational aspect to issuing a challenge of the guardianship.

A guardian can oversee the care of the person, known as the ward. Decisions, such as how the finances and medical issues are handled, will be made by the guardian. Any services that the ward receives will be handled by the guardian. The guardian is also tasked with keeping the court apprised of the condition of the ward. This can include the living arrangements, mental and physical condition, and services the ward receives. The guardian is a caretaker but is not expected to care for the ward 24/7. A person who believes there is an issue with how any of this is being handled can seek to change the guardianship with the court.

The guardian is selected based on their qualifications to perform the inherent duties. The guardian must be a legal adult over the age of 18 and cannot have a felony or gross misdemeanor on their criminal record that would indicate that they are dishonest. In many instances, the ward is not able to decide on their own who to select as a guardian, and this can be the foundation for dispute among those who were in consideration to be the guardian or felt they should have been selected.

When there is no durable power of attorney, the courts can select a spouse, a parent, a son or daughter, or a sibling to make decisions. When there is a dispute, it is important to have legal assistance to try to change the guardianship. A legal professional experienced in estate litigation and guardianships can help those who are seeking to change a guardianship or have any other question related to the powers and how the person is chosen.

Source: FindLaw, "Guardianship of Incapacitated or Disabled Persons," accessed on March 27, 2018

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • I wanted to write to say how pleased my wife and I were at your professional handling of our estate planning and preparation of new wills. We were put at ease by your visit to our home for an interview and were pleased that you listened to us and captured the things that we felt were important.

    --Robert and Christine Simonson, Fairport
  • In order to finalize the documents we came to your office and were greeted in a very professional manner and we could not have asked for finer service. We left with copies of everything we needed and feel very confident our needs have been met. Thanks again. We will surely recommend you should the opportunity arise.

    — Christine and Robert Simonson, Fairport
  • I have been working with Weinstein & Randisi for about two years now. Elizabeth Randisi, through a very thorough process, has helped my wife and me determine what is really important in our lives. Thus, we were able to draft a living will that reflected our most important values regarding our estate.

    --David and Ajia Cherry, Fairport
  • I would like to give a testimony for Elizabeth Randisi, an estate attorney with Weinstein & Randisi. Her knowledge of wills and estate planning was clearly demonstrated in her presentation to us. Realizing our need for a will, my husband and I went to see Elizabeth.

    --Kathy and Gary Gray, Webster
  • Filing for Medicaid is never an easy or fun process. However, working with the Weinstein & Randisi firm made the process simple and streamlined. We were able to obtain all files and records regarding Medicaid enrollment within a few days using specially prepared checklists and verbiage recommended by our assigned paralegal.

    --Ajia and David Cherry, Fairport
Awarded Top 50 Estate Planning Blog
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Blog Feed


Weinstein & Randisi - estate planning

290 Linden Oaks, Ste. 200
Rochester, NY 14625

Toll Free: 800-768-1780
Phone: 585-310-1578
Rochester Law Office Map


Call us now for a free, 100% confidential consultation: