Weinstein & Randisi
Toll free:800-768-1780

Resize the Content Text

Parents of minor children may prefer leaving assets in a trust

Parents of young children usually have different estate planning considerations than parents of adult children have. One of those considerations should be who to appoint as the guardian of minor children in case both parents unexpectedly pass away. However, a less well-known consideration might be how you plan to leave assets for your children.Many parents leave assets for their children in a will. This can be a convenient option since a will is also the document needed to designate a guardian. However, leaving minor children assets in a will could be problematic.

What is the problem with using a will?

A will can be a good tool to leave assets to adult children, but minor children cannot own property or manage their own money. If your children inherit assets from a will or through intestate succession, someone of the court’s choosing will be appointed to manage those assets.

Your children’s other parent or the person who is named the guardian of your children will likely be named the guardian of each child's property. If you are not married to your children’s other parent, you might prefer that the other parent does not control the money intended for your children. Similarly, the person you choose as your children’s guardian may have great parenting skills, but poor money management skills.

The guardian of a child’s property has an obligation to act in the child’s best interests. However, you may have more control over who manages your children’s money or property by putting those assets into a trust and appointing a trustee.

Other benefits to using a trust to pass on assets

A trust can help protect your children’s assets from being squandered while they are still underage. However, a trust can provide other benefits as well.

Some benefits to a trust, include:

  • Specifying when each child will receive his or her inheritance
  • Specifying how much of the inheritance you want each child to receive at one time
  • Protecting each child’s inheritance from creditors
  • Protecting each child’s inheritance from being split in divorce
  • Specifying what each child’s inheritance can be used for
  • Specifying what you want to happen to money that remains after a child’s death

As a parent of minor children, you may have estate planning considerations that single adults or parents of adult children do not have. There are multiple ways you can use your estate plan to protect your children and your children’s inheritances. However, setting up a trust can be an effective way to meet this goal.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • I wanted to write to say how pleased my wife and I were at your professional handling of our estate planning and preparation of new wills. We were put at ease by your visit to our home for an interview and were pleased that you listened to us and captured the things that we felt were important.

    --Robert and Christine Simonson, Fairport
  • In order to finalize the documents we came to your office and were greeted in a very professional manner and we could not have asked for finer service. We left with copies of everything we needed and feel very confident our needs have been met. Thanks again. We will surely recommend you should the opportunity arise.

    — Christine and Robert Simonson, Fairport
  • I have been working with Weinstein & Randisi for about two years now. Elizabeth Randisi, through a very thorough process, has helped my wife and me determine what is really important in our lives. Thus, we were able to draft a living will that reflected our most important values regarding our estate.

    --David and Ajia Cherry, Fairport
  • I would like to give a testimony for Elizabeth Randisi, an estate attorney with Weinstein & Randisi. Her knowledge of wills and estate planning was clearly demonstrated in her presentation to us. Realizing our need for a will, my husband and I went to see Elizabeth.

    --Kathy and Gary Gray, Webster
  • Filing for Medicaid is never an easy or fun process. However, working with the Weinstein & Randisi firm made the process simple and streamlined. We were able to obtain all files and records regarding Medicaid enrollment within a few days using specially prepared checklists and verbiage recommended by our assigned paralegal.

    --Ajia and David Cherry, Fairport
Awarded Top 50 Estate Planning Blog
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Blog Feed


Weinstein & Randisi - estate planning

290 Linden Oaks, Ste. 200
Rochester, NY 14625

Toll Free: 800-768-1780
Phone: 585-310-1578
Rochester Law Office Map


Call us now for a free, 100% confidential consultation: